Thursday, August 15, 2013

Bubble Up Pizza [Pizza Substitute]

A little over a year ago this recipe was everywhere I looked on Pinterest and I couldn't resist trying it out.  At the time I was living with my [then] boyfriend and his 2 elementary age boys, one of whom was an extremely picky eater.  Lucky for me, the meal was a hit and they didn't know that I had used healthier ingredients.

About a month ago I joined a Beachbody challenge and armed with what I have learned there along with my extensive Weight Watchers knowledge, I made it for myself last night (planning to freeze some of the leftovers for a later time).


I make no claims for creating this, I honestly have no idea where the first one came from with all the sites I found that had it listed.  I also do not want anyone to think this is the healthiest version out there, (I know there are several clean eating versions where you basically make pizza sauce from scratch, etc.) but this is the version that works for me, and is fairly quick- you can obviously make changes or substitutions wherever you choose (a few ideas I've had will be listed with the recipe)

(I'm so sorry for some of the blurry pictures, when I was taking them with my phone last night they looked good.  After uploading them today, I am ashamed.  I'll have to snap better shots with my good camera next time I make this.)

Fry it up!








 Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes


Bubble Up Pizza

Makes approx. 4-6 servings

Ingredients
:
-1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
-1 jar (approx. 15 ounces) pizza sauce
-1 can reduced fat refrigerated biscuits (I like Grands Flaky Layers. Wheat would be the healthiest if you can find them!)*
-1-2 cup(s) shredded mozzarella cheese
-Your favorite pizza toppings such as turkey pepperoni, turkey bacon, onion, tomato, green pepper, jalapeno, mushrooms, etc.

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-Fry ground beef/ground turkey in large skillet
-Stir in favorite toppings and pizza sauce
-Cut biscuits into quarters and add to skillet, making sure to coat each piece thoroughly
-Optional: Mix in half of the cheese
-Pour mixture into casserole dish
-Place on middle rack in oven and cook for 20 minutes**
-Evenly distribute cheese and cook for another 5-10 minutes**

*Using only half the can will save calories/carbs.
**If you're partial to somewhat burnt/crunch cheese like me, you can put the cheese on right after pouring the mixture into the casserole dish and just cook straight for 25-30 minutes.

For another healthy suggestion, instead of going for seconds of this delicious beast, have a salad!


Print Bubble Up Pizza Recipe!

Hope you can play around with this and love it as much as I do!!

No comments: